Craving the feel of warm, pulsing sun on a balmy beach? Here are some harsh realities about so-called “safe tanning” and helpful hints to curb your tan-lust . (Your future skin says “thank you.”)
1. Cruise around any retirement community in Florida and you’ll see lots of good reasons to forgo basking on a beach. (Remember Magda from the movie Something About Mary?) The tough, leathery look of skin that’s been chronically over-exposed in pursuit of the ultimate deepest, darkest tan is NEVER pretty.
2. Don’t diss or deny your dermatologists advice or ignore the loud, clear warnings issued by the American Cancer Society, whose latest research suggests compulsive tanners may have addictive behavior disorders.
A day of sun-baked bliss on a summer beach can feel like the ultimate R+R , but when it comes to payback, your skin pays a hefty price. Extended UV exposure can cause:
- Pre-cancerous (actinic keratosis) and cancerous (basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma) skin lesions - due to decreases in the skin's immune function
- Benign tumors
- Fine and coarse wrinkles
- Discolored areas of the skin, called mottled pigmentation
- Sallowness -- a yellow discoloration of the skin
- Telangiectasias -- the dilation of small blood vessels under the skin
- Elastosis -- the destruction of the elastic and collagen tissue (causing lines, wrinkles and sagging skin)
3. Get involved in shady activities, especially during the peak sunburn hours of 2-4 pm. Isn’t this a compelling alternative to beach burn out?
4. Ready for your (subcutaneous) close-up??? A dermatologist’s UV camera can show you the damage that lurks below the surface of your complexion. Babies are born with perfect skin. Freckle, speckles and splotches happen as a consequence of everyday exposure to sunlight...even behind windows. Serious tan-junkies face serious discolorations.
5. Build a “climate-change chic” wardrobe of high-tech pieces and sun-blocking gear, made of clinically-tested UV-proof gear.
6. Give your skin a UV-free “hit of sunshine” for instant, healthy glow. There are lots of options for cultivating a sunless tan. For instant “vacation gratification”, Time Bomb Holiday in a Bottle delivers a quick hit of sunshine! Not a stain, self-tanner or foundation, it’s a sheer, dewy wash of just-been-to-the-beach color, in two complexion boosting shades: sun-kissed (lighter) or sun-tanned (darker). Read More